Poll: Jim DeMint / Ron Paul vs. Obama / Biden in 2012

September 16th, 2010 10:37 pm  |  by  |  Published in Activism, Commentary, Election, Liberty, Politics, Ron Paul  |  28 Responses

We received several responses to the points I made in my article from yesterday suggesting I could support a Republican ticket of Jim DeMint and Ron Paul in 2012.

As expected many of my fellow liberty-lovers disagreed with the notion of supporting DeMint. I was even called a neo-con. I think that was a first for me since I started Liberty Maven in 2007. Then again I probably was called a neo-con for supporting the Libertarian ticket of Bob Barr and Wayne Root in 2008 (once Ron Paul dropped out) by some, but I forget.

Given the reaction I thought this may be a good time to run the first ever Liberty Maven unscientific poll. Let your vote count below. The choices assume that DeMint and Paul have won the GOP nomination to go against Obama and Biden in the general election. If neither of those choices work for you I’ve also included some 3rd party options for protest or principle.

Who would you vote for given these choices for President and VP in 2012?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Responses

1. amy says:

September 16th, 2010 at 10:52 pm (#)

I would prefer a Ron Paul / Jim DeMint ticket… but I'd vote for them the other way around I suppose.

2. LarryB says:

September 16th, 2010 at 11:22 pm (#)

While I appreciate the fact that DeMint has opposed much of the out of control government spending, I am concerned that he ignores the separation of church and state. I consider him a neo-con and there is no way he would ever get my vote for president. But, there are many others out there who would make good vice presidential candidates for Ron Paul, who seems to be the lone voice of sanity coming from Washington DC.

3. MooseOfReason says:

September 17th, 2010 at 12:45 am (#)

DeMint would have to come around on foreign policy.

4. MooseOfReason says:

September 17th, 2010 at 12:45 am (#)

"Sen. Jim DeMint believes terrorism is the greatest threat posed to America and that the United States must remain committed to the long war on global terror." http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Natio

How long is the war? How long does the President need "emergency powers"? How long will we keep the Patriot Act, and other infringements on natural liberty?

Foreign policy is linked with civil liberties. If that's his stance on national defense, I can't vote for him.

5. MWalker says:

September 17th, 2010 at 8:23 am (#)

This is a very strange proposition. I will always be tempted to vote for a ticket with Ron Paul on it. However, given DeMint's positions on foreign policy, civil liberties, and the warfare state I will never vote for him, or anyone like him. Frankly, I am bemused as to why anyone who supports Ron Paul would support DeMint. There are far more people in the GOP like DeMint than Ron Paul. If you support DeMint, why "settle" for Ron Paul; why not work for a DeMint/Palin ticket?

6. Yiki says:

September 17th, 2010 at 8:45 am (#)

One thing i know for sure is that i will never vote for a ticket with Jim DeMint on it even with Ron Paul as the VP. I just dont see Ron Paul as the type who can push his agenda in the duo, DeMint seems to be like the assertive, strong willed, stubborn type who will always do it his way.

Also you should have put a 6th option as stay home. All the money saved by repealig the HCR would probably be blown fighting a 3rd war in Iran. So I will have to pass on DeMint, also he voted and still supports the Patriot act

7. C_T_CZ says:

September 17th, 2010 at 12:37 pm (#)

So why is this discussion not centered around a Gary Johnson / Ron Paul ticket? That is the ticket I would be excited about….

8. Bob Vondruska says:

September 17th, 2010 at 3:21 pm (#)

I would prefer a Ron Paul / Gary Johnson ticket, or a Ron Paul / Rand Paul ticket would be nice. That would be a first, as far as a father / son and President / Vice Presidential ticket goes. I just don't believe that Ron Paul should get second billing to anyone else when Ron Paul is the headliner. Mark my word…."Ron Paul will be the Republican nominee for President in 2012, with the full backing of the Tea Party movement". Whoever Ron Paul chooses as his running mate will be his choice, so I have no doubt that this person will be the best choice available.

9. Ron_Paulite says:

September 17th, 2010 at 3:45 pm (#)

Only Ron Paul/Gary Johnson can save America in 2012.

Jim DeMint? NO!

10. C_T_CZ says:

September 17th, 2010 at 4:05 pm (#)

I would also prefer a ticket headlining Ron Paul. But knowing how the press treated him last time, I would not expect any different this time around. However, if Gary Johnson takes the lead in the ticket:
    * he would start with a much cleaner slate (in comparison to the negative press, misconceptions, and 'unelectability' that Ron Paul would shoulder);
    * he would promote 99% the same message and agenda that Ron Paul promotes;
    * he is a very articulate speaker and has an outstanding record as a Governor;
    * Ron Paul is still part of the ticket, gaining a huge political leap from Congressman to VP;
    * our rEVOLution benefits by showing that different people can carry the message of constitutionality, freedom, and personal liberty – our movement would be backed into a corner if Ron Paul is the *only* person that Ron Paul supporters will support!

Ron Paul said it best – "I have my own shortcomings, but the message, it has no shortcomings. The message of freedom and liberty are what America is all about"

11. Scotty says:

September 17th, 2010 at 8:42 pm (#)

I never called you a neocon, I said Jim DeMint is a neocon. Now Jim DeMint is trying to tie social conservative issues to fiscal issue saying you can support one without supporting the other. Jim DeMint is a neocon who could not wait to run down and thank and show support for those who had just orchestrated a military coup. Is foreign intervention a libertarian position? Is pro-life anti-abortion a Libertarian position? I would never vote for such a ticket and the only way I would would be if Ron Paul was the Presidential nominee. I think people need to do some research on Jim DeMint who is part of this astro turf movement that has hijacked the Tea Party movement started by Paul supporters. Talking point about freedom and liberty don't do it for me and how anyone can support a man who supported warrantless wiretaps, the Patriot Act and theinvasion of Iraq could not be a libertarian or believe in some of their fundamental principles.

12. marcg says:

September 17th, 2010 at 8:53 pm (#)

Thanks for all of the comments… Let me make clear. I am not necessarily advocating or hoping for a DeMint/Paul nomination in 2012. I am just saying that the two have worked together on issues in the past and are fairly close on economic policy and I could vote for such a ticket should it happen. It appears from the poll results thus far that most people would support it as well.

DeMint is not ideal for libertarians because he's certainly not a libertarian. I know that. My feeling is that with the recent wave of conservatives rethinking our foreign interventions DeMint may be swayed. Especially if Ron Paul could help him understand the link between it and economics.

I'm not necessarily a Tea Party guy, but I know several devout Tea Party activists and they all are re-thinking interventionism. It is THE window of opportunity for the non-interventionists to help them see the light completely.

When Michael Steele, George Will, Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck, and Joe Scarborough all begin capitulating toward Ron Paul's foreign policy doesn't that give you hope that someone like DeMint could as well?

I'll be posting more thoughts on this in an upcoming article. Stay tuned and thanks for participating in the discussion.

13. marcg says:

September 17th, 2010 at 9:07 pm (#)

Scotty,

Let me quote you directly:

"In fact, I believe this article is meant to undercut support for Ron Paul in 2010 because you are not a true libertarian but part of the Neo-Con bunch that hijacked the tea party."

Here is the direct link to your comment on the original article: http://libertymaven.com/2010/09/15/the-ron-paul-r

You, in fact, did call me part of "the Neo-Con bunch" which sounds a lot like calling me a Neo-Con, if I'm not mistaken.

I never accused DeMint of being a libertarian. That would be idiotic. I'm merely trying to make the point that I'm willing to risk having DeMint as Prez, if Ron Paul was the VP, hoping he'd help DeMint see the light. Chances are quite good that wouldn't happen given DeMint's track record, but I'm willing to vote for such a ticket and then lobby and hope for it to happen.

I will still hope beyond hope that I'll have a chance to vote for a ticket with Ron Paul at the top, but I just don't believe that to be likely.

14. Blonduxo says:

September 18th, 2010 at 12:30 am (#)

Dr. Ron Paul POTUS
    Hermain Cain VPOTUS

15. Rik says:

September 18th, 2010 at 1:37 am (#)

I love how the "other" option is beating Obama. :]

16. Mark says:

September 18th, 2010 at 2:34 am (#)

Buck Farack

17. mike says:

September 18th, 2010 at 11:59 am (#)

Either WAY if Ron Paul is on the ticket he has my vote

18. langa says:

September 19th, 2010 at 9:33 pm (#)

Why does it even matter who's the VP candidate. The VP is mainly a figurehead position. The only part of the ticket that matters is the top. For example, in 2008, I (unenthusiastically) voted for Barr/Root, but if it had been Root/Barr, I wouldn't have voted at all. Similarly, I would happily vote for Paul/DeMint, but there's no way in hell I would even think about voting for DeMint/Paul.

19. Neutral Observer says:

September 20th, 2010 at 7:58 am (#)

Really now. The vast majority of people chose DeMint/Paul ticket because it was the only choice you gave them with Ron Paul on it. What on earth do you think DeMint and Paul have in common? Seriously… please get a clue.

20. wayne says:

September 20th, 2010 at 4:39 pm (#)

paul president, demint vp. ron paul is one of the greatest patriots that ever lived. If not, the greatest.

21. Ed. Chevalier says:

September 22nd, 2010 at 12:25 pm (#)

Ron Paul is and has always been a constitutionalist. That in my opinion has got him his following. I do not know Jim DeMints stand on many constitutioal issues–principle among which is support of foreign governments. We all know who that includes. If DeMints positions meet with the approval or reconciliation of Ron Paul ,well, have at it. I would support that ticket at either position they would chose.

22. guest says:

September 22nd, 2010 at 3:42 pm (#)

To the author. Looks to me the comments have spoken, and no one understands your choice's. It's obvious Ron has the peoples vote. Try this again. Oh and the reason the word neo-con is used is if you support these long drawn out wars, and even having these bases over seas like we do. Then your really not a conservative, and want big goverment.

23. LibertarianMike says:

September 22nd, 2010 at 3:49 pm (#)

But if you've paid any attention at all, then you'd instantly know that the author does not support "these long drawn out wars".

24. Doug says:

September 22nd, 2010 at 3:57 pm (#)

The lesser of two evils is still evil. Ron Paul would not settle for this, I don't thhink.

25. Ron_Paulite says:

September 22nd, 2010 at 8:33 pm (#)

yes Doug, you are absolutely right.
    Ron Paul is a man of principles.

26. lobobreed says:

October 10th, 2010 at 1:41 pm (#)

Ron Paul has to be #1 on the ticket. The Republic doesn't have enough economic time left for any compromisers. I thought DeMint would be a good choice, based on the way he speaks, his fiscal conservativism, and the fact he looks Presidential, which is a big factor in America. However, after checking his record on church/state separation, I could not vote for him as a Libertarian. Socialism will wreck us, but so will a religious Taliban that wants to overthrow Jefferson's wall of separation between church and state. Paul/Johnson sounds good to me as an alternative. — Silverwolf

27. sommers says:

January 3rd, 2011 at 9:11 am (#)

I believe the strongest Republican ticket would be a combination of Paul with mike pence or paul ryan. Pence is for the flat tax and Ryan is just good on all policy that I can tell.

28. Reganite says:

April 13th, 2011 at 11:40 pm (#)

Where is that in the constitution, sir? If you look at the context, it only says it there is a law which prevents the government defining the church, not the other way around, in fact it defends the people (who are us who make up the government) to worship freely. If we are Christians and we make up the government, the Christian people run the government. You act as if the government is an external entity outside of us regular ol' folks…

Yours is the typical ignorant libertarian response. Go listen Alex Jones or something and let the grown ups talk now.

DeMint sounds good, but I would put Ron Paul as Secretary of the Treasury where he would be most effective.